Volunteer Care Projects in Mongolia
- Placement locations: Ulaanbaatar
- Types of care projects: Centres for children with learning disabilities, kindergartens, orphanages
- Age of children: 0 - 15
- Number of people cared for: 15 - 120
- Role: To promote early childhood development, focusing on the social, emotional, cognitive and physical dimensions
- Accommodation: Host families
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport,transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From two weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
High levels of unemployment over a protracted period of time have left much of the Mongolian population living below the poverty line. Many families struggle just to get by, and this leaves children especially vulnerable. Care centres and orphanages are often stretched for resources and are understaffed.
As a volunteer in Mongolia, your role is to provide a helping hand for local staff, and work to promote the educational and emotional development of the children in these centres.
Volunteering with children in Mongolia
Projects Abroad works with a variety of Care placements throughout Ulaanbaatar, normally within walking distance or a short bus journey from your accommodation.
There are a number of placement options available:
- Orphanages: Volunteers work in both state and private orphanages, housing anything from 20 to 200 children. Some of the orphanages look after specific age groups, from babies through to teenagers; therefore please let us know if you have any preferences regarding the age of children you'd like to work with.
- Kindergartens: You will work with children aged 3-5 years old, alongside a local teacher in classes of up to 40 children.
- Care centres: There is also the option to volunteer at a centre for children with learning and physical disabilities. You may have the chance to become involved with outreach work, visiting the children's family home to provide additional support and advice to their families. This placement is only available between September and May, as the centre closes during the summer months.
The actual work you will be doing depends on the ages of the children that you are working with and the placement you have chosen. In general, you will assist the local staff with the day to day running of the centres, which may involve helping at meal times and ensuring the children are ready for the day.
With the younger children, you will work to promote early childhood development through educational games, fun activities and teaching them basic skills. The older children often require help with homework or support with personal and social issues. It would also be helpful if you can provide them with some informal English tuition, as this is increasingly useful.
As a Care volunteer you will also receive regular workshops to assist you at your placement and to provide a greater understanding of the care system in Mongolia. Projects Abroad also organises regular community based outreaches for you to be involved with.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Mongolia Care Management Plan.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.
Social workers are welcome on the project. A supervisor can be organised if a student social worker needs this for university requirements.
If you have qualifications or experience in this field then we can make use of your skills. Read more about the opportunities for skilled volunteers in Mongolia.