Care Volunteer Projects in Myanmar (Burma)
- Placement location: Yangon
- TYPE OF PLACEMENT: Children’s homes (orphanages) and special needs schools
- Requirement: None
- Age of students: 3 - 18
- Class sizes: 30 - 70
- Role: Offering care and support for disadvantaged children
- Accommodation: Shared apartment or hostel
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport,transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
Myanmar is going through rapid political, economic and social changes after decades of military rule. Even though many people are benefitting from these changes, the country is still struggling to care for some of its most vulnerable groups, especially orphaned children and people with disabilities. This will be a challenge for Myanmar for years to come.
Many organisations are doing wonderful work to change this, but more help is needed to reach as many children and other vulnerable groups as possible. Volunteering on the Myanmar Care Project gives you an opportunity to make a direct contribution to help improve the lives of some of the most vulnerable groups in the country.
Volunteering on a Care placement in Myanmar (Burma)
As a Projects Abroad volunteer, you will work at one of our partner placements in Yangon, supporting the local staff by preparing and supervising educational activities for children from underprivileged backgrounds, including students at a school for the deaf and those at children’s homes.
At the school for the deaf, you will help run extra-curricular activities such as dance classes, arts and crafts, drama and English lessons. Your focus will be on encouraging creativity and cultural and language exchange, and providing much-needed support for the professional full-time staff at these organisations.
You can also choose to volunteer at an orphanage in Yangon. In the mornings, you will mainly work with the younger children who have not yet started school. In the afternoons, you will spend time with the older children and teenagers once they have returned from school. During school holidays, volunteers work with all ages throughout the day.
On average, volunteers work at the orphanages for between 4 and 5 hours each day. However, there is no limit to your work hours, and we encourage volunteers to make the most of their time.
You can get involved in the following activities:
- Planning educational and creative activities
- Playing games
- Teaching English vocabulary and writing to older children
- Helping with homework
- Supporting local staff and caregivers with the general running of the orphanage
Volunteers do not need any qualifications to join the Myanmar Care Project. Sign language skills would be an advantage for volunteers working in the school or the deaf, but this is not a requirement.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.