Professional Volunteering Opportunities for Economists in Mongolia
- Placement location: Ulaanbaatar
- Requirements: Degree in Economics or a related subject
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start Dates: Flexible
This volunteer Business project works with various companies and government departments in the Mongolian capital city of Ulaanbaatar.
There have been a number of factors which have affected Mongolia’s economy since joining the World Trade Organisation in 1997. The break-up of the former Soviet Union and a reluctance to undertake serious economic reforms have highlighted the need to diversify. However, recent governments have liberalised their views on domestic and international trade and welcomed free-market economics.
This project is suitable for any qualified volunteers considering voluntary work abroad or economists looking for a challenge in a developing country. You can help businesses and Ministries in areas such as secondary exports, tourism and utilities. They need advice and expertise to help with Mongolia’s economic growth.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer economists help in Mongolia?
As a volunteer economist you can use your knowledge to help local businesses. Your work may include tasks such as:
- Helping professionals in the secondary economic and banking sectors.
- Advising businesses on local investment opportunities.
- Working with the Ulaanbaatar development department, including:
- Observing their plans for new projects in the city.
- Drawing up business plans for future development.
- Connecting Ministries with international banking and financial organizations
- Giving suggestions and instructions on getting financial backing and conclude an agreement for your project partner
The project works with various organisations throughout Ulaanbaatar. You will be working with a local staff member who will plan your timetable with you.
Please contact us and highlight your skills, expectations and the benefit you feel your skills can be on a project. This allows us to assess what the best match is between you and our partner network.
What will I gain from this project?
You will gain valuable experience in developing economics in a foreign country. You will be in a position of responsibility and have to think creatively. You will also be able to learn from experienced professionals in Mongolia and share ideas.
You will spend time in a completely new setting, learning about a different culture and way of life. You can expect this opportunity to provide a platform to combine a unique learning experience with a challenging working environment. Above all you will be able to form a wider perspective of a lesser known market and how it fits in to the global economy.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Mongolia is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Mongolian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
You must have completed at least a Bachelors Degree in Economics or a similar subject to apply for this project. Please highlight any areas where you have specialist skills.
If you are interested in this project but don't have the relevant experience, then please read about our regular Business project in Mongolia.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.