Micro-finance Volunteer Projects in Cambodia
- Placement locations: Phnom Penh
- Requirements: At least one year's experience or training in the business or management field
- Role: To assist local entrepreneurs with growing their businesses
- Business Sector: Micro-finance
- Accommodation: Shared volunteer apartments or a limited number of host families
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, travel and medical insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Projects Abroad volunteers work in partnership with Khemara organisation to assist small-scale entrepreneurs in creating and developing businesses in Cambodia. The aim of this project is to provide entrepreneurs with small loans, which over time and with guidance they will reimburse.
This project provides small loans to local communities in disadvantaged communities of Phnom Penh. Garment workers here earn less than $3 a day sewing clothes for major western brands in unhealthy conditions. Most workers are women, and often mothers of small children. By providing start-up capital, training and advice for small businesses, volunteers help these women to earn independently in their small shops and food carts, helping them to support their families.
Disadvantaged families find it hard to set up small businesses because loans typically come with high commission fees and high interest rates. Loans in our programme have neither.
Successful applicants for funding will receive training in basic business accounting and other assistance that will help them build a profitable small business.
Micro-finance Opportunities with Projects Abroad in Cambodia
As an intern on this project you will work alongside the Projects Abroad Micro-finance Officer
On a daily basis you will be involved in a wide variety of tasks, which may include the following:
- Review loan applications and meet beneficiaries
- Assist beneficiaries in preparing a basic business plan with supporting marketing tools
- Monitor and mentor the targeted individuals and groups
- Conduct workshops for entrepreneurs
- Provide general business guidance and support
The Micro-finance project in Cambodia runs all year round so you can join at any time. Interns on this project work from Monday to Friday from 8am to 5pm. You will gain insight into the way small businesses operate in Cambodia and the challenges entrepreneurs face on a daily basis. You will spend time in a completely new environment, learning about a different culture and way of life. It will be a rewarding as well as a challenging experience.
Interns who are interested in taking part on this project should speak English to an intermediate level, have at least one years’ experience or training in the business or management field and have a sincere passion for grassroots community development and small businesses. Anyone with significant business qualifications or skills who would like to share their experience with local entrepreneurs is welcome on this project as well.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.