Take your learning to the next level by joining a medical internship abroad with us. We offer ethical medical projects, and you can choose which country you work in.
On a global medical project with us, you can expect to:
- Learn from local doctors, nurses, and professional healthcare workers
- Participate in healthcare outreaches
- Experience a healthcare system that is different from your home country
- Learn important medical skills, like checking vital signs or blood pressure
- Meet interns from all over the world
- Boost your CV with real-world medical work experience
Important update for university Elective students
Over the last few weeks we’ve been contacted by more and more people studying medicine at university. They have to complete Elective placements in order to graduate, but are struggling to get them arranged in the UK.
Our industry-leading Medicine Elective placements are up and running in the developing world. As soon as UK travel restrictions end, we’ll be able to place you in a hospital or clinic to complete your Elective.
We’re also offering a student discount to help make things more affordable for you.
If you or someone you know need an organised Medical Elective placement, check out the options here. We’ll be on hand to complete any paperwork needed by your university, and can offer advice on the most suitable option.
Options for teenagers
We also offer High School Special Projects for 15-18 year olds that want to get medical work experience . These are a great way to learn about Medicine prior to starting at university.
Our projects are flexible, and we have professional in-country staff available to support you whenever you need it.
Choose a Medical Project
1-3 of 25 Projects
Medicine Internship in TanzaniaSee this project
- Completely flexible dates
- Anyone aged 16 or over can join
- From 2 weeks
- From £1,565
Medicine Internship in Sri LankaSee this project
- Completely flexible dates
- Anyone aged 18 or over can join
- From 2 weeks
- From £1,465
What will I gain from a medical placement abroad?
During your time abroad, you’ll gain skills that will prepare you for your next stage of education and career. Expect to:
- Enhance your soft skills like teamwork, communication, leadership, resilience, organising, planning, and time management
- Gain more in-depth medical work experience than you might get in your home country. Concerned about how much you can benefit from your project if you don’t have previous medical experience? Read our blog about volunteering abroad without experience
- Develop the ability to work and empathise with people of different cultures and backgrounds, helping to develop a global mindset
- Boost your confidence from pushing past your comfort zone
Medical volunteering will enhance your CV, UCAS applications, and your personal development.
How are our Medicine & Healthcare Internships different?
At Projects Abroad, our first aim is to benefit the communities we work in. You can be assured that your medical internship is ethical, well supported, and part of a better future. Here are just a few elements of our work that set it apart from other internships:
Recording our work in a secure database
We created a Global Impact Database so we can track the positive impact our projects have, including our medical projects. This is a secure and anonymous database that we use to identify specific areas of need. It allows us to use data to shape medical outreaches and health awareness programmes. We can also monitor individuals we see often, report our results, and collect data for research. All of this work is guided by our Management Plans.
Real work with trained professionals
On our medical placements, you’ll work alongside real healthcare professionals. You can observe them in their everyday work, ask questions and hear more about their experiences. You’re likely to get more insights into the frontline of medical care than in your home country.
A tailored approach
We are often able to tailor a medical internship to your interests. You can work in more than one department or focus on one particular area, or experience outreach work in the local community.
Not quite what you’re looking for?
Take a look at the following pages where you'll find collections of similar projects: