Volunteer French Teaching Projects in Jamaica
- Placement locations: Mandeville
- Types of schools: Primary, Secondary
- Age of students: 6 - 18, adults
- Class sizes: 30 - 40
- Role: Teacher or teaching assistant
- REQUIREMENTS: Advanced level of French
- Accommodation: Host families
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 3 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Gain practical classroom experience while helping students to learn French and improve their language skills as a volunteer on our French Teaching project in Jamaica. You don’t need to have any official qualifications or experience to join this placement – simply an advanced level of French and a passion for helping others learn.
Projects Abroad partners with a number of different primary and secondary schools in Mandeville. You will start out as a Teaching assistant, and will take on more responsibility as your confidence increases. You can choose to teach French full time, or combine it with another subject, such as English, IT and Mathematics. There is also the opportunity to teach French as an extra-curricular activity.
Some schools make use of a shift system, where one group of students attends classes from early in the morning until the early afternoon, whilst the other group starts in the afternoon. Non-shift schools start at 8:00am and end at 3pm.
Our Teaching volunteers attend regular workshops led by our Teaching project coordinator in Jamaica. The workshops provide you with tools and tips on lesson planning and educational methods. They also give information on key issues relating to the placement, help you to solve any issues you might have, and offer an opportunity to receive and give feedback.
Apart from an advanced level of French, you must also be able to communicate effectively in English.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Jamaica Teaching Management Plan.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.