Volunteer French Teaching Projects in Ghana
- Placement locations: Akuapem Hills, Cape Coast, Accra
- Types of schools: Primary
- Age of students: 6 - 12
- Class sizes: 20 - 40
- Role: Teacher or teaching assistant
- REQUIREMENTS: Advanced level of French
- EXTRA-CURRICULAR ROLES: Art, Drama, Music, Sports
- Accommodation: Host families
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Volunteering as a French teacher in Ghana is an excellent way to gain classroom experience while helping students to improve their French language skills. You don’t need to have any official qualifications or experience to join this placement – simply an advanced level of French and a passion for helping others learn.
We have partnered with several primary and secondary schools across the country. You can choose to teach French in Accra when combined with another subject, in the Cape Coast full time, or in the Akuapem Hills full time or combined with another subject. Let us know which option you would prefer when you apply.
The other subjects available to teach include IT, English, Maths, Sciences and Physical Education. You will spend your morning teaching, and in the afternoons you may have the opportunity to run extra-curricular activities, such as art, drama, music and sport.
Other afternoon activities open to volunteers include assisting children with reading practice at after school reading programmes, helping with homework or organising games and activities at an orphanage, and occasionally taking part in community renovation activities.
Teaching volunteers in Ghana attend regular workshops run by the local staff. You will be able to share advice and suggestions regarding lesson planning and activities or games to include at your Teaching placement. The workshops may also cover topics like cultural differences, classroom management techniques and communication tips.
Apart from an advanced level of French, you must also be able to communicate effectively in English.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Ghana Teaching Management Plan.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.