Volunteer School Sports Projects in Belize
- Placement location: San Pedro
- Role: To develop and run a structured and fun sporting initiative in schools to improve fitness levels
- REQUIREMENTS: None
- Age of Students: 4 – 13
- Class Size: 25 – 30
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, travel and medical insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible. The project is closed from the end of June to the beginning of September for summer holidays.
Volunteer on our School Sports placement in Belize and help combat the unhealthy lifestyles led by young children in local communities. Childhood obesity is increasingly problematic in Belize. The issue has begun to affect more and more children, as families tend to choose cheaper diets which include unhealthy and processed foods. Their poor diets are also aggravated by a lack of structured sport in schools, which limits the opportunities they have to be active and get fit.
Making sports a focus at schools is a great way to get young students involved with physical activity and fitness. Encouraging them to participate also provides them with a constructive way to occupy their time and a healthy avenue for stress relief.
Your role at the School Sports project in Belize
During your placement, you will work as a physical education teacher at a government primary school. These schools often lack the funding necessary to hire a trained sports teacher so the same teacher who teaches maths or science will also teach physical education, even if they do not have the required skills or sporting background. You will work with students daily and ensure they are able to develop their skills in sports such as football, basketball, volleyball or athletics, which are the most popular sports in Belize.
From Monday to Friday, you will work between 8:30am and 2:30pm at various schools. Each lesson runs for around 45 minutes. You will plan and run each class, so it is up to you to choose the focus of each lesson. It is your priority to create a positive sporting environment that also emphasises the importance of living a healthy lifestyle.
Schools close at the end of June as the students will be on summer holiday. The project will continue in September when the school reopens.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.