Volunteer Athletics Coaching in Sri Lanka
- Placement location: Panadura
- Role: To develop young adult’s athletics abilities in a variety of track and field sports.
- Age of Students: 13-19
- Class Size: 15-20
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, travel and medical insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
You can volunteer in Sri Lanka on a project that helps to train advanced-level young adults in a variety of track and field sports. You don’t need previous experience as a coach, so anyone with a passion for athletics can get involved. This project would be a great option for a sporty volunteer on a gap year, career break, or extended holiday.
In sporting terms, Sri Lanka is most famous for its cricket team. However, there is growing participation in athletics, with young children keen to emulate global sporting icons such as Usain Bolt and Mo Farrah. As a result of this, local coaches and athletes are keen to learn from other countries and cultures.
Where the Athletics project is based and what you will do
The project is based at an athletics club in the town of Panadura, roughly an hour outside the capital city of Colombo. Here athletes aged 15-20 train from Monday to Friday in a variety of disciplines. The work is flexible and the club develops athletes in a range of events, from sprints and middle distance running, to long jump, high jump and discus. Sometimes there is even the chance to train athletes in longer distances such as the marathon.
You will work from Monday to Friday and have your weekends free. Due to the weather and the changing schedules of the athletes, training can take place at any time between 6am and 5pm. This means that your schedule may change each day. However, you will be guided by local coaches and, with the right attitude, will gain a great deal from the experience.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.