Professional Volunteering Opportunities in Teaching, South Africa
- Placement location: Cape Town
- Requirements: Full qualifications as a teacher
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start Dates: Flexible
On this voluntary teaching project you will work at a primary school in a poor township of Cape Town.
These schools are located within underprivileged communities. This section of society has been largely overlooked by NGOs since the transition from Apartheid to Democracy.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer teachers help in South Africa?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer teacher. Depending on your experience you can work on tasks such as:
- Teaching in a primary school, including:
- Planning, preparing and delivering lessons to a range of classes.
- Marking work, giving appropriate feedback and maintaining records of pupils' progress and development.
- Supervising and supporting the work of teaching assistants, trainee teachers and newly qualified teachers.
- Working with existing staff to assess and improve current standards of teaching methodology and subject content.
- Observing classes in order to assess existing teaching staff, offer advice and set goals for their development.
- Running training clinics for Projects Abroad volunteers working with other schools (optional).
You will be expected to work from 9am to 2.30pm, Monday to Friday. It is also possible for you to introduce extracurricular activities such as music and sport if you wish. These would normally take place after school.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time. Alternative classes are arranged for volunteers to teach during school holidays. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
You will gain experience of teaching English in a challenging environment. You will need to be creative and come up with new ways of communicating with pupils. You will also be able to learn from local staff who have experience of teaching in the townships.
Through educating the young children at the school, you will learn about South African culture and way of life. Staff and pupils will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this ‘cultural exchange’ and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in South Africa is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a South African family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have attained Qualified Teacher Status (or the equivalent qualification in your home country) then you are perfectly suited to this project.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, then please read about our regular Teaching projects in South Africa.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.