Professional Volunteering Opportunities in English Teaching, Ethiopia
- Placement location: Addis Ababa
- Requirements: Full qualifications as a teacher
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start Dates: Flexible
On this voluntary teaching project you can work with a primary or secondary school or in adult education in Addis Ababa.
All of your pupils will have some experience of speaking English but they still need help in order to improve. Being able to speak the English language can be a valuable asset for many as it can help with securing jobs in tourism, for example. Your guidance and support will provide an alternative to existing teaching.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer English teachers help in Ethiopia?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer English teacher. You can work on tasks such as:
- Teaching English abroad in either a primary or secondary school, depending on your experience, including tasks such as:
- Planning, preparing and delivering lessons to a range of classes.
- Marking work, giving appropriate feedback and maintaining records of pupils' progress and development.
- Supervising and supporting the work of teaching assistants, trainee teachers and newly qualified teachers.
- Working with existing staff to assess and improve current standards of teaching methodology and subject content.
- Observing classes in order to assess existing teaching staff, offer advice and set goals for their development
- Helping with training clinics for Projects Abroad volunteers working with other schools (optional)
You can volunteer with three different institutions. The first of which is a private primary and secondary school funded by student and parent donations and contributions - where the average class size is 50 students. The second institution is a school for children aged 6-13. While the final project location is a school for adults aged 20-35.
All of these institutions are private schools. We try to focus on the most needy private schools rather than government-funded schools. This is because students in government-funded schools barely speak any English and it is almost impossible to achieve any long-term improvement.
Volunteers are expected to work from Monday to Friday for around 6-8 hours per day.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time. During summer holidays volunteers can still teach at the Practical Language and Leadership School. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
You will get the chance to practice your skills in a challenging environment. You will work alongside qualified teachers with whom you can share ideas. Working with a lack of facilities will test you and develop your ability to think creatively.
Through educating the students at your chosen school, you will learn about Ethiopia’s culture and way of life. Staff and pupils will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this ‘cultural exchange’ and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Ethiopia is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with an Ethiopian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have attained Qualified Teacher Status (or the equivalent qualification in your home country) then you are perfectly suited to this project.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, then please read about our regular Teaching projects in Ethiopia.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.