Professional Volunteering Opportunities in Consultancy, Tanzania
- Placement location: Various communities in Tanzania
- Requirements: Degree in Business Management or a related subject
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start Dates: Flexible
Volunteer consultants are needed to work in our microfinance programme.
This volunteer development project is run by Projects Abroad. Our aim is to help entrepreneurs and small businesses in Tanzania. You will help set up, assess and manage various projects for our clients and stakeholders.
Many of these businesses need advice in areas such as diversifying their products, market stall placement and sharing resources. We need help to develop our services and reach a wider range of people.
Your expertise as a business consultant will be of huge value to the microfinance programme. It will benefit many by increasing the productivity of each project and so improve the value of each project to the client.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer business consultants help in Tanzania?
As a trained experienced business consultant, with experience or an interest in microfinance, you will provide much needed support to the programme.
The aims of the programme are to:
- Increase capacity of borrowers and potential borrowers to take advantage of their income generating activities
- Contribute to the success of income generating activities
- Capacity building of the micro credit program itself
- Increase incomes
- Improve community self esteem
- Increase capacity enterprises of facing difficulties
You will begin working within the communities at the start-up stage of each project, and help manage and assess each project as it develops. You will ensure each client has the correct training and support in order to manage their projects.
You will develop workshops and training sessions on various aspects of business management. You will also build in strategies for project sustainability. We also require you to assess the programme overall and help develop the programme so we can support more clients, and to improve the programmes efficiency and effectiveness in it’s every day running of the microfinance projects.
You will work from 18-35 hours a week - and sometimes out of hours - depending on the individual project and how you develop your role with your project supervisor. You will work closely with the loan officer and other volunteers working on the programme.
This project runs all year.
What will I gain from this project?
You will be involved with a friendly and highly dedicated team who are committed to the service they provide. Working with often limited resources and staff lacking technical knowledge and training, you will be able to adapt and develop your existing expertise to a different working environment. You will often face challenges not experienced in your home country. Through this cultural exchange you will learn different methodologies and techniques in your own discipline.
You will also have the opportunity to develop skills and experience in a wide variety of areas. These could be (and are project dependent)
- Assessment of the needs of the project partner.
- Collaborating with the project partner to develop more efficient and effective systems in the workplace.
- Collaborate with the project partner to develop outreach programmes in the local community and beyond.
- Use your expertise to train staff and other volunteers.
- Using your initiative and problem solving skills to develop, set up and manage projects/programmes.
- Monitor existing or new projects/programmes.
- Develop and contribute to project evaluation reports to help with continuity between volunteers.
All of these can provide you with valuable experience and transferable skills useful for your career, and make valuable use of your existing expertise where it is truly needed.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Tanzania is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Tanzanian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A friendly member of staff available to meet you on arrival at the airport.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have at least a Bachelors Degree in Business Management or a related subject then you will be suited for this project.
Ideally, a qualified Business Consultant would also possess at least two years’ experience of practicing professionally.
Specific specialisms or interests in your field will be highly desirable. Please discuss this with us on application.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, then please read about our regular Micro-finance projects in Tanzania.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.