Occupational Therapy in Tanzania
- Placement locations: Dar es Salaam
- Role: Evaluate and create a treatment plan for children who struggle with basic daily tasks
- Type of placement: A therapeutic and rehabilitation centre for children
- Requirements: At least one year of studies in Occupational Therapy or a related medical field
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support, transport to and from work where required
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
As disabled people in Tanzania receive little support from their local community, volunteers on the Occupational Therapy placement have an opportunity to help children who struggle with basic daily tasks. This medical project requires volunteers to be extremely patient, motivated and compassionate. Although results may not be seen immediately, it is rewarding to see the improvements in the patients’ abilities.
Volunteering in Tanzania as an Occupational Therapist
As an Occupational Therapy volunteer you will be based at a therapeutic and rehabilitation centre for children. You will work under the supervision of a registered occupational therapist and will spend time with children who are injured, suffering from an illness or struggling with a disability.
The aim of the project is to evaluate and create a treatment plan for children who struggle with basic daily tasks. Volunteers will be teaching occupational therapy techniques to children so that they can overcome difficulties with regards to school activities, play activities and self-care. You will be able to make a hugely positive impact on their lives while gaining meaningful practical experience in the field.
To participate in this project, you must have completed one year of Occupational Therapy studies or training, or one year of studies or training in a related medical field.
While interning as an Occupational Therapist in Dar es Salaam, you will live with a local host family, who will welcome you into their home and teach you about daily life in Tanzania. You can spend your free time exploring the city and the surrounding region with other Projects Abroad interns and volunteers.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.