Dentistry in Kenya
- Placement location: Nanyuki
- Role: To work alongside a skilled local dentist and learn from their knowledge of the profession
- Types of placements: Hospitals and outreach work
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
If you are considering volunteering in the field of dentistry abroad, then Kenya could be a good option for you. Projects Abroad volunteers work in a dentistry department, which is attached to a local hospital in the town of Nanyuki. During your placement you will learn a lot about the dental profession and how it works in a developing country.
Dentistry volunteers will get a unique insight into various procedures including tooth extractions and root canal fillings. Your role will be to observe the dentist and their staff throughout the day. By shadowing the staff, you will have the opportunity to ask questions and review cases. If you have dental experience and are enthusiastic and willing, you may be given more to do. This could be helping set up the instruments for the dentists, and assisting them while they treat patients.
If you are pro-active and organised, you could help facilitate an outreach programme. This could involve visiting schools and care centres to promote the importance of oral hygiene to the children. Projects Abroad will be able to help you set this up.
Whilst volunteering in Kenya you will stay with a local host family allowing you to experience the Kenyan culture first hand. You will also have access to our vibrant Projects Abroad volunteer community who you can spend time with when you are not at work. Nanyuki is a small but bustling town with plenty to see and do nearby.
If you are a fully qualified Dentist, we can tailor you a placement where your skills will be put to good use. Please Contact Us for more information.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Kenya Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.