Journalism Internships in Vietnam
- Placement location: Hanoi
- Placement Types:Radio, online
- Role: To research stories and conduct interviews that contribute to the work of the station
- Requirements: Volunteers should at least be in their first year of studies in Journalism or a related field, such as Media Studies, Communication or Public Relations Management (this includes relevant short courses, such as Social Media) or have one year of practical experience in radio or online media.
- Accommodation: Host family or in a volunteer house
- Price: From
- What's included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What's not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: 3 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Our Journalism Project in Hanoi, Vietnam, provides you with the opportunity to gain valuable practical experience working in the media industry. Your internship will teach you various professional skills and you will also learn – most importantly – how to adapt to a new cultural and political setting.
This project is a great option for students studying toward a journalism degree or graduates interested in getting out into the field. If you are a professional journalist looking to do something different in an international setting, this project also has a great deal to offer.
In Vietnam, you will be placed at a foreign language public broadcaster, Voice of Vietnam Radio (VOV). VOV has a large international audience, and also caters to Vietnamese who are living and working abroad. The station, which was established in 1945, broadcasts on a short and medium wave in twelve languages. These include English, Spanish, French, and Japanese. As VOV is a national radio station, you can expect to get involved in creating content centered on local news, business, music, tourism, customs, and traditions.
Interning Abroad as a Journalist in Vietnam
As an intern at VOV, you will work alongside a team of six to nineteen local professional journalists in the VOV5 department, working to craft dynamic radio and online content. You can choose which language office you want to work in and you will get involved in the following activities:
- Generate news and blog story ideas
- Edit text
- Research their story ideas
- Conduct interviews
- Gain valuable experience in a dynamic newsroom
- Get involved in taking photos and shooting video
Typically, you will work Monday to Friday, 9am to 5pm. Your day to day work will be discussed with you each morning when you arrive at the station.
Volunteers should at least be in their first year of studies in Journalism or a related field, such as Media Studies, Communication or Public Relations Management (this includes relevant short courses, such as Social Media) or have one year of practical experience in radio or online media.
During your time in Vietnam, you will receive guidance from the project supervisor at the placement. The Projects Abroad office is also located in Hanoi and our staff will be available to offer additional support should you need it.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.