International Development Volunteer Projects in Vietnam
- Placement location: Hanoi
- Role: Conducting research, training staff, admin, marketing, supporting self-help groups
- Requirements: Volunteers must have a high level of English skills and be university graduates
- Accommodation: Host family or volunteer house
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 6 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Volunteering on an International Development internship in Vietnam will not only provide you with unique experience for your CV, but also offer you an in depth understanding of the problems many local communities face in Vietnam. Your time with Projects Abroad in Vietnam will be spent providing support to one of the several foundations partnered with Projects Abroad.
Volunteering on an International Development Placement
Projects Abroad is working with several local organisations in and around Hanoi which tackle a variety of issues such as drug abuse, sexual health, prostitution, disabled people’s rights and general health problems. Support is provided to these marginalised communities to enhance and empower them, raising awareness and working to remove any stigma. A range of services such as research, education, training schemes, and counselling are offered.
Your work will be varied and will depend on your interests and experience. However, you can expect to get involved in some of the following areas:
- Training local staff and people within the community
- Conducting research, gathering data and writing reports
- Supporting self-help groups in vulnerable communities
- Administration, including proof reading and editing documents
- Marketing – keeping the website up to date, uploading photos of activities, editing newsletters, making flyers and brochures, organising events
- Raising awareness
- Teaching some English to local staff and the local community
As with all internships you should show a high level of motivation and a willingness to participate in any task given to you, whether you are organising a campaign rally, or spending a few hours proof reading a project proposal. By working within all areas of the organisation, you'll gain a well-rounded view of how International Development charities work and the unique set of challenges they face in achieving their goals.
All International Development volunteers in Vietnam must have a high level of English skills. The placements will accept recent university graduates who are motivated to get involved and help. These projects are particularly suitable for graduates of Communication Studies, Media Studies, Development Studies, Political Science, Public Health and Law. It is also suitable for anyone who has graduated and has some related work experience.
This project requires a minimum commitment of 6 weeks for graduates who also have some related experience. We recommend a longer stay for recent graduates without experience. Please let us know if you have any experience or a special interest in any particular area.
Always remember that the more questions you ask, and the more you show you are willing to learn, the more time your colleagues will spend with you. If you complete every task to the best of your ability, you are certain to go home having gained valuable practical experience for your CV, whilst also having supported a worthwhile cause.
Your working hours will generally be from 8am to 5.30pm, Monday to Friday. However, you may occasionally be asked to work weekends or evenings on specific projects.
Volunteers will stay with a local host family or in a Projects Abroad rented volunteer house based on the location of their placement.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.