Projects Abroad Grown-up Specials for Volunteers Aged 50+
Gap years and volunteer trips abroad are not just for teenagers! Meaningful travel opportunities are becoming a hugely popular option for older volunteers seeking altruistic and unique experiences outside of their own countries. Projects Abroad offers a range of organised trips, called “Grown-up Specials”, that give those aged 50 and above the chance to do just that: immerse yourself in a new culture while helping to support a disadvantaged community.
Our older volunteers have a wealth of life experience and skills to share, experience and skills that are very much needed at the placements we offer in communities around the world. Whether you’re retired, taking a career break or simply in search of something different, these specially-designed programmes are a wonderful way to give back, achieve personal growth and enjoy a rewarding travel experience.
Grown-up Specials are two weeks long, and each trip is designed for volunteers to have the most impact possible at their placement. As a volunteer, you will work alongside a group of like-minded people your age and follow a daily schedule arranged by our local staff. Whether you find yourself teaching children to read or painting a mural at a school or care centre, you will be making a tangible difference to our efforts in-country.
- What are Grown-up Specials?
- Other suitable projects for older volunteers
- Interview with older volunteers
- Career breaker & older volunteer stories and testimonials
CHOOSE A GROWN-UP SPECIAL PROJECT:
Immerse yourself in the Khmer culture and learn about their way of life through workshops, visits to important sites and helping out in a traditional village.
- Sunday September 16th 2018 - Saturday September 29th 2018
Split your time between important Conservation work in the Galapagos National Park and basic renovation work in a local community on this Grown-up Special in the Galapagos.
- Sunday February 25th 2018 - Saturday March 10th 2018
- Sunday November 11th 2018 - Saturday November 24th 2018
Get up close with some of the most endangered and misunderstood animals in the world during our Shark Conservation in Fiji Grown-up Special, taking part in valuable Conservation activities.
- Sunday May 6th 2018 - Saturday May 19th 2018
- Sunday October 14th 2018 - Saturday October 27th 2018
Learn more about Rastafarian culture by living and working in an indigenous Jamaican village. You'll take part in a range of different activities, while being taught about the different customs that shape their way of life.
- Sunday April 8th 2018 - Saturday April 21st 2018
As a volunteer in Nepal, you will be able to make a positive impact on children s lives in schools and care centres, through running educational activities and games, as well as doing outreach and renovation work.
- Sunday March 25th 2018 - Saturday April 7th 2018
- Sunday May 27th 2018 - Saturday June 9th 2018
- Sunday October 28th 2018 - Saturday November 10th 2018