Care Volunteer Projects in Belize
- Placement locations: San Pedro
- Types of care projects: Kindergartens and primary schools
- Role: Taking care of children and organising creative and physical activities
- Accommodation: Host families
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport,transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
By volunteering with Projects Abroad on a Care project in Belize, you will work to provide educational support to disadvantaged local children in the town of San Pedro. Although there are kindergartens and schools in Belize that provide quality education for children, many families are not able to afford additional teaching support and tutoring for their children. Furthermore, there is high demand for placements, and teachers are often overburdened.
Some children in Belize enter the schooling system without knowing any English, and some students are still illiterate when they graduate. Therefore our literacy efforts are essential to the local community's growth.
Volunteering on a Care Project in Belize with Projects Abroad
Volunteers are placed in local kindergartens and primary schools that provide care and education to children from impoverished backgrounds. Your role is to support the educational and early childhood development of these children, by providing them with vital one-on-one attention and supporting the work of local staff.
You will spend time helping children who are struggling with homework, and work individually with those who need to develop their literacy and numeracy skills. Volunteers will also organise creative and physical activities, such as arts & crafts, games and sports.
During the summer school holidays, you will help run a summer camp. Part of your duties will involve designing camp programmes to keep the children active and learning while on their vacation.
Most volunteers work from Monday to Friday and have the weekends free to travel.
Projects Abroad is happy to provide extra help to volunteers working on Care projects. This may include buying some paints or art materials for planned activities, for example. Suggestions from volunteers are welcomed and we are open to any ideas you may have to help benefit the lives of the children with whom you are working.
Community outreach work
For those who are interested, there are also other general project activities you can get involved in, which are open to all our volunteers based in San Pedro. These include:
- Walking the animals at the SAGA Humane Society and providing them with care and attention
- Supporting a Girls’ Club that tackles self-esteem issues, bullying, and other topics related to adolescent girls
- Supporting a Boy’s Group that tackles issues of respect, bullying, and other topics related to adolescent boys
- Re-usable bag and straw campaign to reduce the amount of plastic used on the island
- Mural painting in schools
We also arrange Community Days for our volunteers. These may involve:
- Cleaning and revamping parks
- Participating in beach and community clean-ups
- Taking part in community movie nights
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.