Volunteer Business Internships in Costa Rica
- Placement location: Heredia
- Role: To assist local entrepreneurs develop their business plans
- Requirements: Volunteers must be over the age of 18 and have at least 1 year of university studies in business or management or 1 year relevant working experience. Volunteers must speak intermediate to advanced Spanish
- Accommodation: Host families
- Price: From
- What's included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, travel and medical insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What's not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Projects Abroad works in partnership with several associations and educational institutions to help small-scale entrepreneurs develop and strengthen their small businesses, as well as to identify individuals and groups who require training or assistance with their entrepreneurial ideas.
We work with diverse businesses, and no two projects are the same! Entrepreneurs with whom our volunteers have worked include artisans, restaurateurs and shopkeepers.
Many of the entrepreneurs are from low-income backgrounds and depend on the success of their business to support themselves and their families. You have the opportunity, as a volunteer, to share your knowledge, skills and experience with these entrepreneurs.
Business Opportunities with Projects Abroad in Costa Rica
As a volunteer you will work under the supervision of the Projects Abroad Business supervisor in Heredia, helping to ensure that the individuals and groups taking part are given a chance to make a future for themselves.
On a daily basis you will be involved in a wide variety of tasks, which may include the following:
- Writing, reading and updating business plans
- Developing marketing and advertising strategies
- Proving financial analysis
- Brand development
- Monitoring and mentoring the entrepreneurs’ work
- Regular meetings with the entrepreneurs and Projects Abroad supervisor
- Providing general business guidance and support to the entrepreneurs
If there is an area in which you have particular skills or interests please let us know.
Your timetable will be flexible and you should expect to spend some time working independently. You should be self-motivated and enthusiastic about taking the initiative to get things done.
Through this project you will gain a unique insight into the process of developing small businesses in a foreign country and how the right support and guidance, can help people become self-supporting and independent. You will spend time in a completely new environment, learning about a different culture and way of life. It will be a rewarding as well as a challenging experience.
The Business project runs throughout the year, except for two weeks over the Christmas and New Year period, as well as during the Easter week. One years’ experience or training in the business or management field, and a strong interest in business and entrepreneurship are required for this project. It is important that you are flexible, communicate well and are willing to learn.
As you will work closely with the entrepreneurs, volunteers on this project should have an advanced level of Spanish in order to communicate effectively with the local people and get the most out of this project.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.