Professional Volunteering Opportunities in IT Teaching, South Africa
- Placement location: Cape Town
- Requirements: Full qualifications as a teacher with good IT skills (or the equivalent qualification in your home country)
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start Dates: Flexible
On this voluntary teaching project you will provide free IT lessons to children from disadvantaged backgrounds.
You will work within townships schools. Children from deprived communities often fall behind children from wealthier backgrounds. Projects Abroad believes that all children should have the same access to the latest technology.
You will work with local teachers to show the children that they can learn IT skills. This will empower them to succeed in the future.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer IT teachers help in South Africa?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer teacher. You can work on tasks such as:
- Working closely with school teachers and students, including tasks such as :
- Planning, preparing and delivering lessons for pupils in disadvantaged areas using computers and software.
- Helping teachers create innovative ways of integrating software into their regular curriculum.
- Acting as a guide to ensure that teachers and pupils alike are familiar with the hardware and software in order that it can be used to its full potential and in a long term, sustainable manner.
- Observing existing teaching staff to assess their progress, offer constructive feedback and set goals for future implementation of the technology.
The overall aim is to help local teachers improve their ability to teach IT. This means that local children will benefit for years to come. A big part of your work in South Africa will involve helping local teachers improve their IT skills.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
You will gain experience from teaching a variety of children of different ages and abilities. Local staff will want to learn from you but also share their own experiences of teaching. They will be able to give you tips about teaching South African children.
You will learn about South African culture by interacting with the pupils and staff. They will all want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this ‘cultural exchange’ and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in South Africa is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a South African family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you are a qualified teacher with good IT skills (or the equivalent qualification in your home country) then you are perfectly suited to this project.
N.B. This project is only available for volunteers who are 21 years old or above and prepared to commit to at least three months in South Africa.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, then please read about our regular IT Teaching project in South Africa.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.