Volunteer Physiotherapy Projects in Mexico
- Placement location: Guadalajara
- Role: To gain valuable physiotherapy experience working alongside skilled local staff
- Types of placements: Hospitals and a school for children with disabilities
- Requirements: Volunteers must be aged 18 years or older and speak Spanish to a basic level
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Volunteering in Mexico as a physiotherapist is an exciting experience. You can be placed in a busy city hospital or in a school for disabled children, depending on your experience.
The city hospitals in Guadalajara are busy places. As a physiotherapy volunteer you will shadow existing staff when treating patients. You could work with post operative patients and in rehabilitation. Your supervisor will be keen to help you gain valuable experience in the hospital. They will help you with any questions and discuss case studies with you.
More experienced volunteers can work in a school for children with disabilities. These children need focused one-to-one attention to help them with their motor skills, which will help improve the quality of their lives.
You can discuss your placement preferences with Projects Abroad who will assess your experience and help place you in the most worthwhile location.
Your Role in Mexico
How much hands on work you get while on your placement in Mexico will not only depend on your experience but also on how much enthusiasm you show and how you integrate yourself into the team. Once you have built trust amongst your peers, you will likely get more responsibility.
Volunteers need to speak some Spanish to join our Mexican Physiotherapy programme. If you are unsure as to whether your Spanish is good enough please give us a call. Many volunteers who lack confidence in their Spanish language skills join a Teaching, Care, Community or Spanish Language project before joining their Physiotherapy project. This gives them the opportunity to brush up their language skills before the medical part of their placement.
Volunteers need to be a minimum of 18 years old to take part on the Physiotherapy project.
While volunteering in Mexico you will live with local host families. Here you will be able to really improve your Spanish and immerse yourself in the Mexican way of life. You can explore Guadalajara on your days off with the very active Projects Abroad volunteer community.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Mexico Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.