Financial Controller - South Africa
Vacancy for: Financial Controller
Based: Cape Town, South Africa
How to apply: Use ‘Apply’ button on this page. Please do not send applications by email.
Projects Abroad is the leading organisation recruiting young people from the UK, Europe, USA, Canada, Australia and Japan to do worthwhile voluntary work overseas. Annually we recruit over 10,000 enthusiastic volunteers to over 30 developing countries. We put enormous importance on the welfare of our volunteers during their time with us overseas – our global team is committed to providing our volunteers with worthwhile work and the experience of a lifetime.
Your role as Accountant:
The main purpose of this role is to ensure that accounts for two different offices in Cape Town are correct and dealt with on a daily basis. Your working days will be split into our two locations, Claremont and Wynberg, as needed. The role will entail daily interaction and effective communication with our Office Supervisors and Head Office in the UK. The ideal candidate will have great attention to detail, interpersonal skills and relish the opportunity to be part of a multicultural work environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Adding all new staff members to Pastel Payroll
- Adding all new staff to ABSA online banking
- Managing monthly budget
- Informing Finance Team (Mongolia) about any changes/addition to the budget
- Double checking budget received by Finance team
- Paying all staff members monthly salary
- Paying monthly PAYE and UIF payments to SARS
- Dealing with leave pay outs where necessary when staff is leaving
- Dealing with the payment of medical contributions
- Ensuring all staff members receive their IRP5 forms for their tax returns on time
- Paying all service providers
- Updating the account spreadsheets on online accounts system (including scanning and uploading all receipts, current and cash)
- Paying EFT’s for host families and project partners
- Ensuring accounts are recorded on time, kept up to date and spending is monitored and analyzed on a monthly basis
- Ensuring cash is signed for and accounted for
- Detecting/ checking for fraud on our account
- Upgrading/streamlining financial systems
- Dealing with the payment of medical contributions and mileage claims
- A relevant Diploma and 2 years' experience in a position of financial trust
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written
- Pastel Accounting Qualifications and experience
- Online banking, SARS e-filing skills
- Excellent communication skills and cultural sensitivity
- Attention to detail
You will be offered a permanent contract, subject to passing a three-month probationary period. A job offer is dependent upon a successful interview and satisfactory references.
To apply, please complete the online application form and provide:
- A one-page cover letter explaining why you would be perfect for this role.
- A two-page CV highlighting your relevant experience