Volunteer English Teaching in Bangladesh
- Placement locations: Dhaka
- Types of schools: Primary and secondary
- Role: English teacher or teaching assistant
- Extra-curricular roles: Teaching other subjects like maths, drama, music or physical education
- Accommodation: Host families
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support, commuting costs between work and accommodation during working days
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From two weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Projects Abroad organises volunteer English Teaching projects in primary and secondary schools in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
The Bangladesh Government acknowledges the importance of education as a way to improve future prospects for children. Despite the advancement towards universal education and gender equality, over three million children do not attend school and the country has one of the lowest literacy rates in South Asia.
The learning strategy and late introduction to the English language makes it very difficult for students in Bangladesh to improve their language skills. Therefore, Teaching volunteers are needed to help some of the poorest children in the world build on their English reading, writing and comprehension abilities.
Volunteer Teaching placements in Dhaka
As a Teaching volunteer you will work in primary and secondary schools that follow a general education system. The exact role in the classroom will depend on your level of experience and confidence. You may assist the local English teacher, work with small groups on conversational English, or you could be asked to take the whole lesson.
Your role as a Teaching volunteer is to motivate the students to acquire confidence while learning English. You will encourage students to practice English both inside and outside the classroom. You will also help the local teachers by introducing new learning methods.
Volunteers will also be able to teach a variety of other subjects including maths, science, art, drama, music and physical education. You may also get to teach other academic subjects, depending on your interests. Facilities in the schools are often basic, so you may find yourself with little more than a blackboard and a piece of chalk. However, even in these surroundings, you may be surprised at how quickly the students make progress.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.