Professional Volunteering Opportunities in Special Education, Bolivia
- Placement location: Cochabamba
- Requirements: Full qualifications as a teacher
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 1 week
- Start Dates: Flexible
On this voluntary teaching project you will work at a care home run by the department of social services in Bolivia. You will help children and adults who all have special needs.
Some of these people are orphans and many come from underprivileged or abused backgrounds. This makes the work both emotionally straining and incredibly important. We will provide support for you throughout your project.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer Special Needs teachers help in Bolivia?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer teacher. You can work on tasks such as:
- Teaching abroad in a Bolivian care home including tasks such as:
- Planning, preparing and delivering lessons to a variety of pupils
- Marking work, giving appropriate feedback and maintaining records of pupils' progress and development.
- Supervising and supporting the work of local staff.
- Motivating pupils with enthusiastic, imaginative presentation
- Developing and adapting your teaching methods to meet needs of pupils with various disabilities.
- Working with local staff to improve teaching and caring methods.
- Helping with workshops for Projects Abroad volunteers working with local schools (optional)
We work with various care homes that look after both children and adults. This means that there are opportunities for you to work with various age groups, depending on your area of expertise. Some of these homes work exclusively with blind children. Any qualification or experience you have of teaching in Braille would be a great help in these institutions.
You will be expected to work for a minimum of 4 hours each day, from Monday to Friday. However, your schedule will be flexible and there is always more work to be done. You will be able to arrange a schedule of work with our Care Supervisor when you arrive.
This project runs all year round so you can join at any time. We are flexible about dates so you decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
You will gain experience of teaching people of a variety of ages with different learning and physical disabilities. You will also gain an insight into the methods used to teach these pupils in the developing world. Our Care Supervisor in Bolivia has been working in Special Educational Needs teaching for over 15 years. You will be able to share ideas with him and other members of staff.
Through working with the pupils and staff at the care home, you will learn about Bolivian culture and way of life. Staff and pupils will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this ‘cultural exchange’ and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Bolivia is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Bolivian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have attained Qualified Teacher Status (or the equivalent qualification in your home country) then you are perfectly suited to this project. The project deals with pupils with learning disabilities so it would help if you have experience in this area.
Some of the care homes in which we work deal exclusively with blind children. Any qualification or experience you have of teaching in Braille would be a great help in these institutions.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, then please read about our regular Teaching projects in Bolivia.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.