Micro-finance Volunteer Projects in Ghana
- Placement locations: Akuapem Hills
- Role: Assisting local entrepreneurs with their business plans
- Requirements: Volunteers are required to be 18 years or older
- Business Sector: Micro-finance
- Accommodation: Host families
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, travel and medical insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
The aim of the Micro-finance project in Ghana is to assist local individuals and groups to work their way out of poverty. The project will target vulnerable groups, and give them the head-start that they need to empower themselves within the community.
Projects Abroad will provide funding and training to give them the skills and financial help needed to start a business. We hope that this will then enable them to secure a sustainable future for themselves and their families, through small scale entrepreneurship.
This Micro-finance project will provide vulnerable individuals or groups with small loans which, over time and with our guidance, they will reimburse. Following complete reimbursement of the loan, new candidates will be selected to join the programme.
Micro-finance Opportunities with Projects Abroad in Ghana
As a volunteer you will work in the Projects Abroad Micro-finance office in villages in the Eastern Region of Ghana, alongside a dedicated local team helping to ensure that the individuals and groups taking part are given a chance to kick start their business and secure a better future for themselves.
On daily basis your main role is to work on new and existing loans.
- Introducing the Projects Abroad micro-finance loan product to prospective beneficiaries
- Interviewing and screening potential loan beneficiaries
- Discussing and evaluating business plans
- Managing loan accounts
- Monitoring the individuals and groups who have already received loans
- Conducting weekly workshops
- Providing general business and financial guidance and support
Through this project you will gain a unique insight into the process of developing small businesses in a foreign country, and how micro-credit can help disadvantaged people find their way out of poverty and become self-sufficient and independent. You will spend time in a completely new environment, learning about a different culture and way of life. It will be a rewarding as well as a challenging experience.
The Micro-finance project runs all year round so you can join us at any time. You do not need any prior experience but it is important that you have a keen interest in this area and are flexible, a good communicator, and are willing to learn.
It would also be useful for you to take an additional Twi language course, either before or during the project so that you become familiar with the local Ghanaian language which is widely spoken in the communities you will be working with.
You can join the Micro-Finance project in Ghana for two or three weeks if you don't have time to join us for four weeks or more. This project has been selected by our local colleagues as being suitable for short term volunteering for both the host community and the volunteer. Although you will gain a valuable cultural insight and work intensely within the local community please be aware that you may not be able to make the same impact as someone volunteering for a longer period.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.