Volunteer Speech Therapy Projects in Ghana
- Placement locations: Accra
- Role: To help children with speech and language difficulties
- Types of placements Special needs school
- Requirements: 2 years of relevant studies and must be able to take initiative
- Accommodation: Host families
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Speech Therapy volunteer projects in Ghana
Many children in Ghana suffer from speech and language impairments, and due to the lack of education about the subject matter, families are left helpless and unable to find ways to assist their children. As a result of there being limited support to children with speech and language difficulties, we are in desperate need of individuals with skills and training in the area of Speech Therapy.
Speech Therapy volunteers will be placed at the New Horizon Special School based in Accra. In order to take part in this programme, you must have completed at least two years of relevant studies, must be able to use your initiative, and be keen to learn new techniques and methods for working with children who have a variety of disabilities.
Currently, there is no in-house speech therapist, but as a volunteer you will be involved with a dedicated team who are committed to providing the best care they can to the children.
Daily activities include:
- Helping the children improve and develop their speech ability
- Needs assessment of individuals
- Developing more efficient and effective systems in the workplace.
- Training staff and other volunteers where possible.
- Developing and contributing to project evaluation reports to help with continuity between volunteers.
New Horizon Special School has limited resources and staff lack technical knowledge and training. As a volunteer you are likely to have to manage many challenges that are very different from working in your home country. Volunteers will need to have a sensitive and flexible approach towards the local staff. At the end of your time on the Speech Therapy project, you will have gained valuable work experience and enhanced your CV for future endeavours.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Ghana Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.