Volunteer Midwifery Projects in Morocco
- Placement location: Rabat
- Role: To work alongside local doctors and nursing in a number of different departments within the hospital
- Type of placements: Hospitals
- Requirements: Volunteers must have completed at least one year of midwifery studies or training and speak French or Arabic to an intermediate level
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Volunteering on a Midwifery Project in Morocco will give you the opportunity to experience midwifery practices in a different culture. You will be helping women who depend upon the services of the maternity units and helping them to give birth safely.
As a midwifery volunteer in Morocco you have the opportunity to work in a number of departments in one of our partner hospitals or clinics. Where you volunteer will depend upon your qualifications and experience, as well as the needs of the placement.
Your role is that of an intern and you will shadow qualified members of staff and your supervisor. By observing the doctors and nurses, you will learn a lot about many different conditions and treatments. You will have the opportunity to discuss specific cases with the local staff to improve your knowledge.
If you show enthusiasm and initiative, and you develop a good relationship with the medical staff, you may find that you gain enough trust to be given more to do. As with any job - and especially in the field of midwifery - you must prove yourself to be trustworthy and competent before you are given responsibilities.
Your Schedule in Morocco
Your workday will normally be from 8am to 4pm when you will be working at the hospital with your supervisor.
Volunteers joining this project should have completed a minimum of one year’s midwifery studies. Volunteers should speak a good level of French or Arabic in order to fully participate in the medical projects.
In your free time, there are plenty of opportunities to socialise with other volunteers and local people, as well as numerous travel opportunities. By living with a local host family, you will be welcomed into a warm Moroccan home and can use the opportunity to practise your French or Arabic language skills.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Morocco Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.