Volunteer Medicine Projects in Peru
- Placement location: Cusco
- Role: To volunteer alongside trained local staff and learn from their knowledge and expertise
- Type of placements: Hospitals and health clinics
- Requirements: Volunteers must speak Spanish to an intermediate level
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
As a Medicine volunteer you will gain a great deal of valuable work experience, observing and assisting skilled medical professionals. The local healthcare facilities are generally of a basic standard, although the huge disparity between rich and poor means that there are also a number of well-equipped private hospitals in the country.
Our Medicine programme in Peru is based in the World Heritage city of Cusco, the ancient capital of the Incan Empire. We work with several different healthcare placements in the city, and volunteers are allocated to a particular hospital depending on their experience and preferences.
Volunteering on a Medicine Project in Peru
There are four different medical placement options available:
- Hospital: Medicine and nursing students, as well as longer-term pre-medical volunteers will be placed in one of the main hospitals. You will have the chance to observe in a range of departments, including nursing, medicine, midwifery and pharmacy, as well as the laboratory.
- Healthcare centres: Volunteers with less experience will be placed in one of the smaller healthcare centres in the city. Here you will be able to rotate between various departments, including nursing, medicine, midwifery, pharmacy, dentistry and the laboratory.
- Children’s rehabilitation hospital: At this placement you will work with children with special needs – this option also involves care work in the afternoons.
- Private health clinic: This placement is ideal for those with a lower level of Spanish. Volunteers staying for a longer duration can rotate between nursing, medicine, pharmacy, laboratory, and dentistry departments.
If your level of study and Spanish skills are sufficient, you may be able to assist the doctor with wound cleaning, injections, and stitches. Our partners sometimes organise medical outreach visits, which you will also be able to participate in.
Volunteers on the medical placements usually work from Monday to Friday and have the weekends free. Daily hours vary from place to place, and will be decided during your first meeting with your placement supervisor. Please remember that these medical placements should be taken seriously and the doctors with whom you work will expect you to be punctual and attentive.
Volunteers with a positive attitude and pro-active approach will get a great deal out of the programme. Your role will be mainly observational, and you will shadow doctors and other medical staff throughout their day, lending a helping hand where needed.
For all Medicine placements in Peru, you need at least intermediate Spanish. For those who’d like to brush up on their Spanish skills, we offer intensive language courses, which you could do before your placement.
Volunteers must be able to commit to a minimum of 4 weeks on the project.
You will stay with one of our local host families while you volunteer on your medicine project in Peru. Here you will have the opportunity to experience the warm hospitality of the Peruvian people. You will also be able to really hone your Spanish speaking skills. On your time off you will be able to explore the delights of Cusco and the surrounding region with our volunteer community.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Peru Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.
If you have qualifications or experience in this field then we can make use of your skills. Read more about the opportunities for skilled volunteers in Peru.