Medicine Volunteer Projects in Ethiopia
- Placement location: Addis Ababa
- Role: To work alongside trained local staff within the clinic
- Type of placements: Private clinic
- Requirements: Volunteers must have completed at least four years of medical related studies
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Volunteering on a medical placement in Ethiopia with Projects Abroad is an excellent way to learn about and experience a hospital environment in a developing country. Work alongside some of the most skilled and inspirational doctors in the country, and gain a great deal of valuable experience in the medical field.
All Medical volunteers must have completed at least four years of medicine related studies by the time they take part on this placement. You will be required to send us a copy of your CV once you have applied so that your placement can be tailored to your level of experience and interests.
Volunteers work at Sante Medical Centre, which is a private clinic in Addis Ababa. It was set up in 2006 by a young Ethiopian doctor. Your exact role within the hospital will be determined by your level of medical experience as well as the enthusiasm and effort that you demonstrate to the local staff.
You will have the opportunity to learn about many different conditions and treatments including haemodialysis and HIV/AIDS. You will shadow doctors in a variety of departments, including general medicine, nursing and the laboratory. You should be prepared to see some shocking cases and will learn about conditions that are rare in developed countries.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Ethiopia Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.
You will stay with a host family for the duration of your time volunteering with Projects Abroad. You will be part of our volunteer community and can spend time exploring Addis Ababa and the surrounding areas with other volunteers.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.