Volunteer Dentistry Projects in Mexico
- Placement location: Guadalajara
- Role: To gain valuable work experience alongside trained local staff within a busy dental department
- Types of placement: Hospitals
- Requirements: Volunteers must be aged 18 years or older and speak Spanish to a basic level
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Dentistry volunteers in Mexico are involved with and observe a wide variety of tasks, ranging from general dental checks and complex treatments to working on outreach programmes. As a Dentistry volunteer you will gain a great deal of valuable experience to take forward in your future career. Hospitals in Mexico are well equipped and near the standards of Western hospitals. Dentistry volunteers work in city hospitals in Guadalajara.
The main hospital we work with has a busy dental department. Clinics here are regularly full so you will have plenty of patients to observe. How much hands on work you will get depends upon your previous experience and qualifications.
Dental staff welcome volunteers with a range of experience, so long as you are enthusiastic and keen to participate. By showing initiative and building a good rapport with your colleagues, you can get very involved with the dentists and patients with whom you are working. You will be able to discuss specific cases with your supervisor who will ensure you learn as much as possible about dentistry practice in Mexico.
Requirements for Volunteering in Mexico
Volunteers need to speak some Spanish to join our Mexican Dentistry project. If you are unsure as to whether your Spanish is good enough for the programme please give us a call. Many volunteers who lack confidence in their Spanish language skills join a Teaching, Care, Community or Spanish Language project before joining their Medicine & Healthcare programme. This gives them the opportunity to brush up their language skills before the medical part of their placement.
Volunteers need to be a minimum of 18 years old to take part on the Dentistry project.
By living with one of our local Mexican host families, you will have the opportunity to really hone your Spanish speaking skills. There is much to see in and around Guadalajara and a vibrant Projects Abroad volunteer community to experience it with.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Mexico Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.