Volunteer Dentistry Projects in India
- Placement location: Jaipur
- Role: To work alongside local qualified dentists learning from their expertise and knowledge of the dental profession
- Types of placements: Hospitals, dental clinics and outreach work
- Accommodation: Host family
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
If you choose to volunteer on the Dentistry project in India you have the chance to engage with highly qualified dentists who are dedicated to providing quality oral healthcare to their patients.
Your role will be mainly observational. That said, there will be a lot to learn by shadowing the dentists and other dental staff in the clinics where you will be placed. By showing your enthusiasm and by becoming a valuable member of the dental team, you may be given more to do. You will be exposed to a wide variety of dental care in India. Common procedures include root canal treatment, bridges & crowns, fixed orthodontic treatment, implants, minor surgeries, cast/removable partial frames and fixed partial dentures.
Outreach Work in India
You may have the opportunity to take part in dental outreach work. One clinic conducts outreach camps in schools and colleges and volunteers are encouraged to take part in these.
Hindi is the mother tongue in Jaipur, but English is also widely spoken. However, not all people will understand English unless they are well educated and have good communication skills. The conversation between the patient and dentist will almost always be in Hindi. Your dentist will explain everything to you in English, and will, wherever possible, discuss case histories and treatments with you at the time of consultation.
When volunteering in India you will stay with a local host family. They will show you true Indian hospitality and make you feel very welcome. You can spend your free time exploring the delights of the area with our energetic Projects Abroad volunteer community.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.