Volunteer Dentistry Projects in Jamaica
- Placement location: Mandeville
- Role: To gain valuable experience within a dental clinic dealing with the diagnosis and treatment of a variety of conditions
- Types of placement: Dental clinics
- Requirements: Volunteers must have completed at least one year of Dentistry related studies or training and be aged 18 years of older
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
You can volunteer on a Dentistry project in Jamaica with Projects Abroad. Volunteer dentists in Jamaica gain a host of experience working with local dentists in and around Mandeville.
The clinic where you will work deals with the diagnosis and treatment of a wide range of dental problems. They also investigate and treat mouth disorders and carry out surgical treatment of deformities of the mouth and jaw.
You role will be mainly observational. If you show enthusiasm and develop good working relationships with the staff, you will gain a more hands on role.
You will be based in the dentistry ward of the Mandeville Comprehensive Health Department, where a clinic operates daily. Twice a week you can also work in other health departments that run dental clinics. You will also shadow dental nurses as they carry out clinics in rural areas where there are no permanent facilities.
You must have completed one year of dentistry studies to volunteer on this project and be a minimum of 18 years old. While volunteering with Projects Abroad you will live with a local Jamaican host family. You can spend your free time experiencing Mandeville with other volunteers in our volunteer community.
If you have qualifications or experience in this field then we can make use of your skills. Read more about the opportunities for skilled volunteers in Jamaica.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Jamaica Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.