Midwifery Elective Placements in Ghana
- Placement locations: Cape Coast
- Role: To gain experience from local staff and add to your previous midwifery training
- Requirements: You must be currently studying at university for a degree in Midwifery. If you are not an elective student please go to our standard Midwifery project in Ghana page
- Type of placement: Hospitals
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Qualified supervisor, food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Projects Abroad offer Midwifery Elective placements in Ghana, West Africa. You will find the hospitals in Ghana an excellent base for learning and improving your Midwifery skills. Approaches to midwifery will be different in Ghana from what you are used to at home and you will learn a lot about these different approaches.
You will find yourself coming into contact with pregnant women suffering from complications such as malaria and typhoid, on an almost daily basis. All these experiences will be of huge value to your future in Midwifery.
Our Midwifery Electives in Ghana are based in Cape Coast. You will be based in a busy city hospital, working with patients who have a wide range of illnesses.
Supervision on your Elective Placement
When you first arrive at the hospital you will discuss your work schedule with the Projects Abroad coordinator and the placement supervisor who will be a member of the hospital staff. You will shadow one of our supervisors who all speak English. They will be keen to test out your midwifery experience, as well as giving you the benefit of their training and knowledge. The supervisor is experienced in working with elective students.
While you complete your Midwifery Elective in Ghana you will live with local host-families. As one of our most popular destinations, there will always be many other Projects Abroad volunteers to travel and spend time with.
Please be aware that most universities have deadlines by which time your Elective application paperwork must be completed. If your university needs information on the hospital or clinic in which you will be placed, or requires forms to be signed by your project supervisor, we strongly advise completing our application form at least one month before this deadline. We can only provide this detailed information once you have applied and been accepted onto an Elective placement with us.
If you have any questions please call us on 01903 441 050.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.