Journalism Volunteer Projects in Vietnam
- Placement location: Hanoi
- Placement Types:Radio
- Role: To research stories and conduct interviews that contribute to the work of the station
- Accommodation: Host family or in a volunteer house
- Price: From
- What's included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What's not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: 3 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Voice of Vietnam Radio (VOV) is Vietnam’s foreign language public broadcaster, and is aimed at Vietnamese overseas as well as an international audience. VOV was established in 1945 and today it broadcasts on a short and medium wave in twelve languages including English, French, Japanese and Spanish. As VOV is the national radio under the government of Vietnam, content aired is based on local news, business, music, tourism, customs and traditions.
Radio Journalism in Vietnam
As a volunteer on the Journalism placement in Hanoi you will gain insight into the workings of the media in a new cultural and political setting. You will work alongside a team of six to nineteen VOV journalists. Our volunteers will be placed in the VOV5 department and you may work in the language office of your choice. The ideal volunteer will have at least some journalistic skills and will focus on the following activities:
- Generating story ideas
- Editing text
- Producing a radio show
Working hours will be from 9am to 5pm and the day’s work will be discussed with you each morning.
During your time in Vietnam, you will receive guidance from the project supervisor at the placement. The Projects Abroad office is also located in Hanoi and staff will be available to offer additional support, should you need it.
This is a fantastic opportunity to get involved with all aspects of creating radio programmes for a wide audience, work closely with local professionals in Vietnam, and experience everyday life in this stunning and vibrant country.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.