Speech Therapy Volunteering in Tanzania
- Placement locations: Dar es Salaam
- Role: To support local speech therapists at a clinic
- Requirements: At least one year of studies in speech therapy or a related field
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Volunteering on a Speech Therapy project in Tanzania will not only help you gain valuable experience, but you will also be taking part in a worthwhile project that will assist children by improving communication impairments.
In Tanzania children with disabilities often struggle and the support received by their local community is minimal to none. Volunteers who take part in this project will be placed at our partner organisation based in the vibrant city of Dar es Salaam.
As a volunteer, you will work alongside qualified and experienced speech therapists at the clinic. You will be involved in various tasks such as helping to assess, diagnose and treat children with speech, language or swallowing difficulties. You will be involved in helping to develop individual treatment programmes for different patients. Raising awareness is a key part of the work at the clinic and the staff spends time teaching speech therapy techniques in the community as well as working on compensatory strategies with different patients and cases.
Volunteering on a Speech Therapy Project in Tanzania
This project requires volunteers to be highly patient, motivated and compassionate. Although results may not be seen immediately, it is rewarding to see the improvements in the patients' abilities. The Speech Therapy programme at the clinic focuses on improving the communication skills of children.
The programme comprises of:
- A detailed evaluation and designing a treatment plan with specific goals for each patient
- Teaching speech therapy exercises/techniques to overcome or remediate difficulties
- Monitoring patients’ improvements through progress reports
- Providing information regarding the progress to the family members and advise them on ways to improve communication skills outside the clinical setting
- Counsel family members on how to cope with the stress associated with these disorders
While volunteering in Tanzania, you will stay with a local host family. During your free time, you will have the opportunity to meet other Projects Abroad volunteers and explore the local area. If you want to take part in this project, but you are not sure if you qualify, please send us your CV.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Tanzania Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.