Building Volunteer Projects in Philippines
Volunteer on a Building project in the Philippines and contribute to the renovation and/or building of houses and schools in areas that were affected by Typhoon Haiyan, which occurred in 2013, to enable an improved living and learning environment for locals.
You’ll work alongside a local builder, who will teach you all the necessary building and construction skills to help you fully take part in the construction process, assisting with all levels of building. The construction techniques are ideal for sites with limited facilities.
Projects Abroad works in partnership with three local organisations mainly around San Remegio, but also throughout Bogo City.
Volunteering on a Building Project in the Philippines
The National Housing Project (NHA), under the company DILAMAG Construction, hopes to construct close to 1000 houses (28.6 square metre bungalow row-houses) in one of the Barangay in San Remegio. They need volunteers to assist with the following activities:
- Laying foundation and concrete slabs
- Installing lift panels (piping, utility and safety box)
- Plumbing (piping works for sewer and water line)
- Working on the door jambs
- Working on the roof framing and covering
- Tiling and floor topping works
- Plastering and painting
You will also work with a local tradesman to rebuild schools with the Kalahi-CIDSS organisation, who hope to construct three schools and one classroom in different Barangays of San Remegio, and the Rotary Club of Mactan, who aim to reconstruct five school buildings throughout Bogo City and one school in San Remegio. You’ll assist with:
- Preparing the site (clearing the school building and removing damaged material)
- Transporting cement, sand, gravel, corrugated bars and roof sheets
- Mixing cement and laying concrete hollow blocks
- Plastering the walls
- Installing roof sheets and bars
- Welding bars and assembling steel trusses
- Installing door and window jambs
- Cutting lumbers and ply woods
- Installing ceiling frames
- Painting walls, doors, ceilings, roofs
You do not need previous building experience to take part in this project; although anyone who does have relevant skills will be very welcome and will be able to take in a more specialised role. You should, however, be reasonably physically active and be prepared for working outdoors in a variety of weather conditions.
You can join the Building project in Philippines for one, two or three weeks if you don't have time to join us for four weeks or more. This project has been selected by our local colleagues as being suitable for short term volunteering for both the host community and the volunteer Although you will gain a valuable cultural insight and work within the local community please be aware that you may not be able to make the same impact as someone volunteering for a longer period.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.