Professional Volunteering Opportunities in Psychiatry in Mongolia
- Placement location: 100km from Ulaanbaatar
- Requirements: Full qualifications as a Psychiatrist
- Accommodation: Host family
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start Dates: Flexible
If you’re a qualified psychiatrist looking for voluntary work abroad then you are eligible to assist in treating mental health conditions in Mongolia. You will be working alongside Mongolian psychiatrists at the National Center for Mental Health.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer psychiatrists help in Mongolia?
As psychiatry is a fairly new science in Mongolia, this will be a good opportunity to help improve local medical services. As a volunteer psychiatrist, you can use your knowledge and training to help local staff. Tasks might include:
- Helping local staff assess and treat mental health conditions
- Organising and conducting training for fellow psychiatrist and other doctors through presentations and workshops
- Introducing new methods and theories of psychological treatment
The project is based in the countryside about 100 km from the capital Ulaanbaatar.
You will be expected to work from around 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday. The hospital has 440 medical staff who will welcome your collaboration.
Please note: patients may not be able to communicate in English. Your project supervisor and Projects Abroad staff will provide support where possible.
What will I gain from this project?
This voluntary work abroad will allow you to gain experience working in the developing world. You will be able to work alongside fellow professionals and share ideas about treatments. You will also improve your ability to think creatively, and to work with limited resources and across cultural boundaries.
Through working with local professionals, you will learn about the Mongolian culture and way of life. They will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. This kind of ‘cultural exchange’ often helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Mongolia is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Mongolian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
You should be a qualified psychiatrist in order to join this programme.
If you are interested in this project but don’t have the relevant experience, please take a look at our regular Care projects in Mongolia.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.