Volunteer with Children in Bangladesh
- Placement locations: Dhaka
- Types of care projects: Care centres
- Role: Taking care of disadvantaged children and organising creative and physical activities
- Accommodation: Host families
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support, commuting costs between work and accommodation during working days
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From two weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
As a Care volunteer in Bangladesh you will contribute by supporting disadvantaged children in care centres located throughout Dhaka. You will have an important role to play, whether you are a trained professional offering us the benefit of your experience or a volunteer on a gap year or career break looking for some experience of development work.
An alarming number of children in Bangladesh are living in poverty, lacking basic needs such as food, shelter and sanitation. With more than 600,000 children, some as young as five years old, roaming the streets, the situation is sadly not improving.
The care centres try desperately to look after the high number of children needing care. These centres are often understaffed and have inadequate resources, so they are in need of volunteers to help give children the best care possible. You will be a welcome pair of helping hands for the local staff, who are often too busy to give the children the individual attention they need.
Volunteer Care work in Bangladesh
You will help with day-to-day practical tasks, such as ensuring that the young children have been fed and are ready for the day, as well as organising creative and physical activities such as arts and crafts, games, teaching basic literacy and numeracy. You will often also assist the local staff with tasks such as washing dishes and cleaning the centre, which are essential to the daily running of the care centres. With the older children, you can play sports to help them develop their team skills. Any skills you have to offer are welcome.
Projects Abroad will provide extra help to volunteers working on a Care project. This may include buying some paints, art materials or arranging a day where all the volunteers help to renovate a play area at one of the centres.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.