Canine Therapy Project in Argentina
- Placement locations: Alto Alberdi, Cordoba
- Role: To work closely with trained dogs and assist in conducting specialised therapy sessions for children and young adults
- Type of Placement: Zoo therapy centre
- Requirements: Basic Spanish
- Number of people cared for: 12-15
- Age of people cared for: 6-15
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- Minimum duration: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Our Canine Therapy project in Argentina enables volunteers to combine elements of our Care and Animal Care projects. Volunteers work alongside a team of local professionals at the Jingles Foundation in Alto Alberdi, Cordoba and conduct specialised therapy sessions for children and young adults.
The Jingles foundation has approximately 30 dogs of various breeds and ages; these animals are carefully selected and trained to be alert, obedient and of a non-aggressive nature. Volunteers will work with the dogs and children and focus on the social aspect and the benefits of canine therapy for locals battling with psychological disorders, like motor and sensory impairments or behavioural disorders. It has been proven that regular contact with animals can increase the patient’s mobility and both stimulate and comfort the children. Volunteers will learn about areas such as speech therapy, kinesiology, neuro-rehabilitation and psychology for individuals, families and/or groups who specialise in handling animals.
Role of the volunteer
Volunteers arrive at the centre in the afternoons and will focus on the following:
- Help with the daily maintenance and upkeep of the facility
- Assist the staff during sessions with the dogs and children
- Plan creative activities for the children
- Develop and contribute to the project evaluation reports
Although volunteers may feel that the work is not very structured, the supervisor will be happy to discuss the work schedule with them.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.