Professional Volunteering Opportunities in Therapy, Romania
This volunteer massage therapy project helps disadvantaged patients at orphanages, care homes and hospitals in Brasov.
You will be working with children suffering from disability. Many of these children suffer from pain and also the stigma associated with disability in Romania. Therefore, you will be able to make a huge difference to their lives.
Here you will find answers to the following questions:
How can volunteer massage therapists help in Romania?
You can use your knowledge and training to help local staff as a volunteer massage therapist. You can work on tasks such as:
- Organising and running training workshops for the existing staff in day centers, foster homes and paediatric hospitals.
- Providing staff, patients and parents with information on massage as a therapy for the disabled and also as relaxation.
- Working with disabled children and the staff in all day centers, foster homes and paediatric hospitals, providing relaxation massages and other necessary treatments.
- Organising training clinics for Projects Abroad volunteers working in local hospitals, teaching them the basic theory and practice of massage therapy (optional).
We work with a large variety of care centres, foster homes and hospitals in Romania. We will try to place you with more than one institution. This means that you can share your knowledge with a large group of professional care workers.
You will be expected to work Monday to Friday for around 8 hours per day. You will agree the exact work schedule with your project supervisor on your first day in Romania.
This project runs all year and we are completely flexible about dates. You decide how much time you can spare and we will help you get the most out of it.
What will I gain from this project?
You will gain experience of teaching staff, patients and carers about your therapy. You will also work alongside experience professionals with whom you can share ideas. Working in a pressurised environment with a lack of resources will challenge you to improve your skills.
You will spend time in local communities, learning about a new culture and way of life. Staff and patients will want to hear about your life back home and your family and friends. We call this ‘cultural exchange’ and we think it helps our volunteers gain a new perspective on life.
What will Projects Abroad PRO provide?
We have over 20 years’ experience of running volunteer projects. We provide you with the following support to make sure your time in Romania is successful and enjoyable:
- Safe accommodation with a Romanian family close to your project.
- Friendly and dedicated local staff available to help 24 hours a day.
- A member of staff to meet you at the airport when you arrive.
- Medical and travel insurance.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
If you have at least a Diploma in a relevant area of Massage Therapy then you are perfectly suited for this project.
Please note - while this project is aimed at massage therapists, the institutions we work with are also looking for anyone with experience in art therapy or music therapy. Please get in touch if you feel you can help in either of these areas.
Please contact us if you think your knowledge may be useful on this project but do not have the required qualifications.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.