Medicine Elective Placements in Kenya
- Placement location: Nanyuki
- Role: To gain experience from local staff and add to your previous medical training
- Requirements: You must be currently studying at university for a degree in Medicine. If you are not an elective student please go to our standard Medicine project in Kenya page
- Type of placements: Hospitals and health clinics
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Qualified supervisor, food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Taking your Medicine Elective in Kenya is an excellent way to gain the experience required for your course. It also provides the chance to help people in under resourced medical institutions in the developing world.
Projects Abroad works with both small health clinics and government hospitals in Kenya. Medical Elective students have the opportunity to gain experience in a wide variety of areas. There are opportunities to specialise in general medicine/outpatients, surgery, maternity, paediatrics and work in the laboratory.
You may get the opportunity to take part in medical outreach work. Here you may visit a care centre or school where children attend workshops on general healthcare including the importance of hand-washing and teeth cleaning, or you may work treating wounds and changing dressings etc.
Supervision on your Elective Placement
You will shadow one of our supervisors who all speak English and are experienced at working with western medical and healthcare students. Your supervisor, a qualified doctor, will be keen to test out your medical knowledge, as well as giving you the benefit of their training and experience.
Whatever your chosen specialism, Projects Abroad will work with you and your university to ensure any requirements for your Elective are met. Our in country staff are experienced in liaising with universities.
During your stay in Kenya you will live with a local host family in Nanyuki. By undertaking your Medicine Elective with Projects Abroad you will also be joining our volunteer community in Kenya and you are sure to find other volunteers to spend evenings and weekends with.
All Elective students in Kenya now have the opportunity to add 1 Week Conservation Add-On to the end of their main placement. For more information visit our Conservation in Kenya project page.
Please be aware that most universities have deadlines by which time your Elective application paperwork must be completed. If your university needs information on the hospital or clinic in which you will be placed, or requires forms to be signed by your project supervisor, we strongly advise completing our application form at least one month before this deadline. We can only provide this detailed information once you have applied and been accepted onto an Elective placement with us.
If you have any questions please call us on 01903 708 300.
This placement is fully researched, safety audited and risk assessed in accordance with the British Standard BS8848 for the Adventure Travel Sector.