Volunteering in India with Projects Abroad
- Placement location: Jaipur
- Project lengths: From two weeks
- Accommodation: Host families, Shared volunteer accommodation
- Prices: From
- Top places to travel: Agra (Taj Mahal) and Rajasthan
- Projects available: Building: General Building Projects | Business | Care: General Care Projects | Community: IT Projects | Medical Electives: Dentistry Electives, Medicine Electives, Midwifery Electives, Nursing Electives, Physiotherapy Electives | Medicine & Healthcare: Dentistry, Medicine, Midwifery, Nursing, Physiotherapy | Sports: Athletics, Cricket, Football, School Sports | Teaching | Veterinary Medicine & Animal Care: Veterinary Medicine | Short-term Specials: Care & Community, Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing | Christmas Projects: Christmas Care & Community Project, Christmas Medicine Project
Volunteering abroad in India will immerse you in a land of beauty, spirituality and adventure. Projects are available for anyone interested in volunteering in the developing world; whether you are on a gap year, a summer placement, or a career break.
Projects involve Teaching, Care, Medicine & Healthcare Projects - including Dentistry, Physiotherapy, Nursing and Midwifery, Business, Veterinary Medicine and Sports.
Where we are Based in India
Projects Abroad India has its office in Jaipur.
Despite India’s colossal size, you will experience a strong sense of community in Jaipur. You’ll be treated as an exciting addition to any family or school that you join for your placement.
General Information in India
To live in India is to participate in a lifestyle that is unlike anything you’ll experience in the West. The most mundane tasks often become adventures. Everything is colourful, nothing is predictable. Life – especially in urban areas – is truly chaotic. The sights, sounds and smells that greet you in each new place will overwhelm your senses.
India is the world’s seventh largest country but the second-most populated, with this being particularly evident in its overcrowded cities. However, tribal Indian society remains strong, especially in the uplands and woodland areas. Economically, India has taken the positive elements from its colonial past and developed a sound, well-developed infrastructure, although the exploding population means that this is often tested beyond capacity.
The cultural heritage of India dates back over 5000 years. You’ll find fifteen official languages, a diverse array of religions and spiritual practices, a wide variety of performing arts, colourful festivals almost every day of the year, and tradition and variety in all aspects of life.
Travel and Tourism in India
From the towering Himalayas that mark India’s northern borderlands through to its plains, deserts and tropical rainforests, this is a country of awe-inspiring ancient temples and colourful tribal villages.
Northern India will allow you to tick off many of India’s most classic tourist destinations including the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra and the captivating pink city of Jaipur. You could also explore the state of Rajasthan.
Almost every village in India is connected to the rest of the country by a vast fleet of rickety buses, and an elaborate train service. Public transport ranges from the eccentric to mind-boggling – an orderly queue is an alien concept!
Projects available in India
Work alongside local carpenters and builders, constructing basic buildings using traditional methods and local materials. You could find yourself building a classroom or shower block for an orphanage.
Volunteer in an orphanage or care centre in Jaipur. You will help get the children ready for school, assist with homework and may teach the children basic English, art, crafts or sports.