Volunteer Coordinator - Global
Vacancy for: Volunteer Coordinator
Location: Worldwide (based in one of Projects Abroad’s overseas offices) – Opportunities include Cambodia, Vietnam and Nepal.
At Projects Abroad, we’re passionate about travelling with a purpose.
Projects Abroad is the leading international volunteer organisation recruiting young people from the UK, Europe, USA, Canada, Australia and Japan to do worthwhile voluntary work overseas.
Annually, we send over 10,000 volunteers to over 28 developing countries to gain experience in fields such as teaching, medicine, journalism, veterinary science, law and conservation.
Duties and responsibilities of the role
- Working alongside our team of local staff, you will be responsible for making each new arrival feel welcome and secure in their new environment.
- You will help maintain effective communication between the destination office, the volunteers and our overseas offices.
- You will assist in preparing all aspects of arrangements for volunteers before they arrive in- country.
- You will conduct inductions with new volunteers to introduce them to their new community and help them settle in.
- Designing schedules for group trips and ensuring these schedules are followed.
- Providing advice and encouragement to volunteers, many of whom have not travelled overseas before.
- Coordinating resources with the local staff in destination
- Overseeing the safety and wellbeing of volunteers in accordance to Projects Abroad standards
The job is busy, can involve some out-of-office hours work and can be physically demanding. You should be prepared to be on call any day during your time overseas.
You should be
- A University graduate
- Fluent in English, both spoken and written
- Physically fit
- Computer literate, (Microsoft Office, databases)
- Mature in attitude and outlook
- Able to remain calm and efficient under pressure
- An excellent communicator with people of all ages and cultures
- A team player who enjoys working as part of a team, you should delegate work appropriately and fairly amongst other staff
- Flexible and able to take direction and accept feedback
- Able to communicate across a range of cultures
- Patient and adaptable
- Proactive and resourceful
- Friendly and personable, with customer service skills, you must respond well to others
- Enthusiastic to work in a different culture and relish the opportunity to work in a challenging environment
- Additional languages, especially French, Spanish, German, Japanese or Mandarin will be an advantage.
To apply, click on the provided link and/or the Apply button and submit the following in one attached file:
- Resume / CV (two pages maximum)
- Cover Letter (A supporting statement highlighting how your skills and experience meet the person specification - one page maximum)
We recruit year-round for Volunteer Coordinators to join our overseas teams. The successful candidates will be employed on a short-term contract, between 4 weeks and one year. Please specify your availability in the application.
An offer of employment is dependent upon receipt of satisfactory references, a criminal record check and a successful personal interview.
Salary and Benefits
Projects Abroad pays a good local salary, international flights, comprehensive travel and health insurance, board and lodging as well as agreed day-to-day work-related expenses.