Volunteer Advisor Intern - South Africa
Vacancy for: Volunteer Advisor Intern (Temporary)
Based: Cape Town
How to apply: Use "Apply" button on this page. Please do not send applications by email.
At Projects Abroad, we’re passionate about travelling with a purpose. We love travel, and we love making a positive difference in communities around the world. We have projects running in dozens of countries, where we send volunteers to help with anything from medicine and healthcare to education and conservation.
We don’t just dream about making a difference in the world. We do it every day.
The prime purpose of office contact with volunteers is customer service. You can play a large part in shaping the volunteers’ experience. By being enthusiastic, efficient and supportive, you will assist the volunteers’ integration into the country and the projects they work on. The volunteers should then be able to develop their own, unique experience.
Duties and responsibilities:
- Assist our permanent Volunteer Advisors with all pre-departure communication with volunteers (prior to their arrival in one of our destinations worldwide).
- Ensure all necessary checks are done prior to volunteer acceptance at a specific destination
- Create a detailed profile of each volunteer, finding out their likes and dislikes, qualifications, skills and abilities and keep a record
- Ensure all of the information you provide is accurate and suitable for each individual volunteer
- Keep up to date and familiar with projects available in your destination(s) of responsibility
- Inform volunteers of other products and services than they can purchase from us, including flights, languages courses, etc.
- Contact the volunteer while they are on their project and report any issues and/or inform about his/her level of satisfaction
- You will work closely with our Administrative Team
- You will work closely with our Destination Teams
- Be fluent in English spoken and written (French, Italian, German, Dutch or Japanese advantageous)
- Be a university/tertiary graduate (Preferably in Communication, Customer Service, Tourism, Business Administration, PR)
- Be proficient in the use of MS Office and the Internet
- Have a customer service or sales background (advantageous but not required)
- Have the ability to remain calm and efficient under pressure
- Be able to meet short deadlines and multi-task
- Be highly organised and able to plan your time efficiently and independently
- Be interested in travel and international service work
You will be employed on a temporary contract (5 months), subject to a three-month probationary period. An offer of employment is dependent upon receipt of satisfactory references and personal interview.
To apply, please complete the online application form and provide a two-page CV and a cover letter in one combined file (under the Select Resume tab).
Projects Abroad is the leading volunteer organization recruiting young people from the UK, Europe, USA, Canada, Australia, and Japan to do worthwhile voluntary work overseas.
Annually we send over 10,000 enthusiastic volunteers to 29 developing countries to teach conversational English and to gain work experience in the fields of medicine, journalism, veterinary science, law and conservation.
To recruit our fee-paying volunteers we use a variety of offline and online marketing measures.