Country Director - Togo
Vacancy for: Country Director
Based: Lome, Togo
How to apply: Use ‘Apply’ button on this page. Please do not send applications by email
Projects Abroad is the leading international volunteer organisation recruiting young people from the UK, Europe, USA, Canada, Australia and Japan to do worthwhile voluntary work overseas. Annually we send over 10,000 volunteers to 29 developing countries to gain experience in fields such as teaching, medicine, journalism, veterinary science, law and conservation.
Our fundamental mission is to provide support to critical areas and promote a cultural exchange that will benefit both our volunteers and the communities in which they work.
We are looking for a new Country Director, to plan, direct, and coordinate the administrative, operational and strategic direction of Projects Abroad Togo.
The main objective of this position is to ensure Projects Abroad Togo is properly managed and staff members are motivated so that it is a sustainable and viable destination offering worthwhile projects. This entails planning and strategically positioning Projects Abroad Togo, and offering exceptional service to all partners thus ensuring continued improvement and growth for this destination. The job is very busy and can be physically demanding so you should be prepared to work flexible hours and be willing to travel within and outside the country if necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute along with team an operational plan for Projects Abroad Togo.
- Coordinate all human resource related functions (in coordination with HR department) such as evaluation of staff and staff development
- Organize and coordinate office operations and procedures in order to ensure organizational effectiveness and efficiency
- Ensure that each new volunteer feels welcome and secure in his/her new environment
- Maintain effective communication between the overseas office and the head office where necessary
- Ensure that all allocations meet the volunteer’s preferences
- Agree on monthly budget with the Finance Director and Head Office
- Manage monthly budget
- Review and approve requisitions for office supplies and project material
- Liaise with partners and form strategic working relationships for the future growth and development of Projects Abroad Togo
- Represent Projects Abroad Togo at meetings, workshops, seminars, presentations, interviews as necessary
- Ensure the workshops, culture inductions, dirty days and other activities are carried out regularly and effectively
- Conduct periodic visits to placements and host families
- Monitor and manage for an update all related literature including handbook, website information among other things as necessary
- Research and investigate new project areas for strengthening and diversity of projects
- Coordinate all projects
- Efficiently deal with all problems and complaints
- Take disciplinary actions in consultation with Head office and/or HR department where necessary
- Ensure that complaints and problems are dealt with properly and tactfully
- Any other duties assigned and directed by the Head Office Coordinator
The ideal candidate will meet the following criteria:
- Bachelor's degree (or higher) in Business Management, Administration, Social Sciences, or any related field.
- Ability to do basic accounting and budget management.
- Bilingual: both written and spoken English fluency a must.
- At least 5 years' experience working in an international NGO or related field.
- Dynamic, passionate about community service and experienced in project development.
- A strong leader who is able to motivate a team whilst also managing them with certain expectations.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as interpersonal skills.
- Experience working with people of different backgrounds.
- Highly organized and attentive to detail.
You will be employed on a permanent contract, subject to a three-month probationary period. An offer of employment is dependent upon receipt of satisfactory references and personal interview.
Please complete the online application form and upload a cover-letter and a CV in one single file (Word or PDF).